We’re From California

It’s a strange thing this moving cross country. I am kinda chatty and through small talk with various people, such as those who sell jackets…it has come up that “we just moved here from California”. I can’t tell you the amount of times that has brought a tilted head and a “huh?”. My kids are beginning to question the sanity of their parents while listening to all of this. I am beginning to wonder if there is something we are missing, lol. Yet, ironically, in California, I can’t tell you how many people said in those final days…”you are so lucky, you are getting out.” This baffles me as well because I didn’t realize I was in jail. Really in the end…it’s where God wants ya. Grass seems to always be greener somewhere other than you are sometimes, I suppose.

welcome

I am sure we stick out here in Missouri. We are the freezing people with the wild child three year old and brand new jackets. Last night we came up from the indoor pool in the hotel for some dinner and while we were eating, it started to snow. We bundled new jackets over bathing suits and headed down through the lobby and went outside. People can hate on snow all they want, but I tell you it’s magical. We loved it. This is the third night at our current hotel and I am quite certain after this wet bathing suit, puffy jacket extravaganza…the night desk clerk, thinks we are officially insane. So, I helped his exploding head by informing him we are from California and just moved here. First time for snow for us and we are kinda excited. “Why did you move here?” He says. Yes, with his head tilted.…..oy vey.

emma

Snow may be annoying, but there is something annoying everywhere. You know what is kinda California annoying? Tank tops on Christmas day. Fires on tv, because it is too hot to burn one. Hoping already for a white 2014 Christmas.

steaknshake

The trip out here is history. A memory for sure. Didn’t quite go as I imagined. We traveled a bit Clark Griswald style with sick kids and a dog. The weather for the most part was brilliant. The car was not packed like we were going on a road trip, but rather it was packed like “hey, you forgot to pack the espresso machine? put it here by my right arm and let it balance on the big wheel.” I really wish I was kidding.

road trip

We are on our third night of the same hotel now and it has been incredible to unwind a bit. A front row seat in the hot tub viewing the snow, a bedtime buffet, jungle gym’s in the hall. Hotel life has it all and a maid.

hotel

dinner

We are looking forward to finding our permanent home. It has been a challenge for me to chill with everything all over the place. Stretching me for sure.

monkey

Today was the first day at our new church. In theory it should seem really strange that I attended church in MISSOURI, but it didn’t at all. We were welcomed so emphatically. I am smitten already.

bulletin

It felt normal, snow and all. It was cold. Like …well really nothing like it I can think of. Even now typing this it is 3 degrees outside with a “feels like” -13. You have got to be kidding me. Tomorrow Shawn goes back to work after having him home for six weeks. I have a viewing of a property, have to pick up the dog from the doggie boarders, and move all of our stuff into another location for the next two nights. Alone. Big girl panties on…let’s do this. On the upside by the time I have to be out and about, it should have warmed up to zero degrees.

Wish me luck…

21 Responses to We’re From California
  1. Dennis
    January 5, 2014 | 9:34 pm

Blessings and peace upon you all. May God do great things in and through you!

2. Torey
    January 5, 2014 | 9:36 pm

Luuuuuuuuck!!!!!!

3. Heidi (Dearly Loved Mist)
    January 6, 2014 | 6:30 am

I’m sitting here looking out my window at the more-than-a-foot of snow that fell last night, thinking of all my friends’ kids that have no school today (must be pretty bad when MI closes school for snow), and wondering if it would be safe to send the kids out in the negative temps later today to sled (probably). This is the real meaning of “cold”. 😉 Glad your trip/moving is going well so far. Enjoy your adventure!!

4. Tiffany
    January 6, 2014 | 3:09 pm

Wow, what a whirlwind!! Hope you find your new home central soon!~ *Praying for that & all of you.~

5. Kathiey
    January 6, 2014 | 9:07 pm

I love your blog posts. You make me laugh out loud…for real!!! You are as good of a writer as you are a photographer. I love it. Glad you survived the trek. God must think you are invincible with all that he gives you. It really is reality show like. Waiting for the next one, hopefully with pics of a new home!!!

6. Shelly
    January 15, 2014 | 5:31 am

Just found your website by accident. (link from something) I grew up in San Jose – all my siblings and parents and all the cousins live within 2 miles of each other and go to Venture Church together. I married a SoCal boy and all my married life and baby years were in Huntington Beach. All his family is there. (it’s 80 degrees there right now.) 2 1/2 years ago – we made the cross country move to Philadelphia for his job. When my husband first told me, I asked him what state it was in. ha ha. I’m enjoying reading your first experiences – the traffic lights, people’s reactions (Oh – you’re actually a NATIVE Californian? really?) and mostly the weather reaction. 🙂 We had a summer hurricane within two months of moving here – I hadn’t been expecting such a difference in summer weather. I knew winter would be crazy – though not as crazy as where you are. 🙂 Hang in there!

7. celebrity Skin
    August 14, 2014 | 11:38 am

I am not positive where you’re getting your info, but great topic.

I must spend a while finding out more or understanding more.

Thanks for fantastic info I used to be looking for this information for my
    mission.

8. Ernestina
    October 1, 2014 | 3:56 am

I’m gone to inform my little brother, that he should
    also pay a visit this website on regular basis to take updated from most up-to-date news update.

9. karatok theme
    October 7, 2014 | 3:24 pm

What’s up i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anywhere,
    when i read this post i thought i could also make comment due to this good piece
    of writing.

10. Seneca Skin
    October 7, 2014 | 5:29 pm

Seneca Skin

We’re From California | Just A Night Owl

11. Sydney
    October 7, 2014 | 5:40 pm

Very good post. I certainly appreciate this website. Stick
    with it!

12. Carmen
    October 7, 2014 | 5:50 pm

It’s awesome to pay a visit this web page and reading the views of all
    mates about this piece of writing, while I am also eager of getting experience.

13. equivita Review
    October 7, 2014 | 7:39 pm

equivita Review

We’re From California | Just A Night Owl

14. Ayur Review
    October 7, 2014 | 9:32 pm

Ayur Review

We’re From California | Just A Night Owl

15. Alluere Reviews
    October 7, 2014 | 10:09 pm

Alluere Reviews

We’re From California | Just A Night Owl

16. Sandra
    October 7, 2014 | 10:42 pm

What’s up everyone, it’s my first visit at this web page, and paragraph is in fact
    fruitful in favor of me, keep up posting these posts.

17. seo Enfield
    October 10, 2014 | 12:05 am

That is very attention-grabbing, You’re a very professional blogger.

I’ve joined your feesd and look forward to looking for extra of your fntastic post.

Additionally, I have shared ylur website in my social networks

18. storify.com
    November 26, 2014 | 7:28 pm

Since the admin of this website is working, no hesitation very quickly it will be renowned, due to
    its quality contents.

19. Ceceliavoylesle.Wordpress.Com
    January 27, 2015 | 5:54 pm

Bwin ofrece a sus clientes la posibilidad de efectuar apuestas on line en vivo en una variada oferta de deportes.

20. home Design photos
    March 13, 2015 | 12:01 pm

My relatices always sayy that I am wasting my time here at web, but I know I
    am getting familiarity every day by reading such pleasant posts.

21. taylor swift height
    October 15, 2016 | 1:13 pm

Wonderful beat ! I wοᥙld likᥱ to apρrentice while you amend ʏour site, how can i subscribe for a blog web site?
    Тhe aсcount aided me a accеptable deal.
    I had Ьеen a little bit аcquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clеar concept