The Girls

Following the trend of the last 4 years of my life, I can now add the sentence, “I own six chickens” to the list of things I thought I would never say.

There are six of us in our family, so we each picked a chicken and a name.

Chickens1

The parent’s chickens~

Stevie belongs to my hubby. A fan of all things Apple. So, naturally she is named after the late Steve Jobs.

Princess Consuela belongs to me. I have seen every episode ever made of Friends. I find it to be the best show ever. So, upon the recommendation of my niece, Princess Consuela it is.

Chickens5

*Stevie and Princess Consuela

Both of our chickens are Silkie Chickens, like Tori Spelling’s chicken, Cocoa. If you are unfamiliar, please google. These “chickens” are “exotic” chickens the Chicken Store people told us. I think they are a cross between a poodle and a chicken. Whatever the case, stinking adorable. Black and white for us. Romantic, eh?

Chickens7

*Emily

The kid’s chickens~

Cameron’s chicken is named Diver. This kid LOVES him some ocean. Appropriately named. Very clever.

Taylor’s chicken is named Iris. She LOVES her some astronomy. Iris is named after the Iris Nebula.

…and may I just say now that I love those two kids.

Chickens6

*Diver is camera shy

Emma’s chicken is named Lola. You know why? “Because it is a cute name”. Good reason. Great reason.

Greyson’s chicken is named Emily because he loves Thomas the Train and since we have girls we had to name it after the girl train, Emily. Makes sense right?

Chickens2

*Princess Consuela

In several weeks these girls will move into their chicken coop Home Sweet Home.

In several months we shall be eating their eggs for breakfast.

Pretty fabulous.

Thanks in advance, girls.

Chickens3

6 Responses to The Girls
  1. Kelly
    March 1, 2013 | 7:07 am

You are living my dream right now! The land, the chickens…I’m going to live vicariously through you for awhile! Hope that’s okay!

I love all the names! A perfect combination!

2. Heidi (Dearly Loved Mist)
    March 1, 2013 | 1:31 pm

Cute chickens! Hope your story with chickens ends up better than mine ever did. ;) Have you read any of my chicken stories on my blog? Oh my…I read them to the kids the other day and we were all laughing as we remembered the craziness! http://www.dearlylovedmist.com/p/chicken-scratch.html

March 2, 2013 | 9:13 am

Oh, hooray! I am so excited for you! We bought our new chicks yesterday, and will pick them up today. Can’t wait to see more of your new house and hear your story… wonderful, wonderful! Blessings! (And, seriously — where did the last month go? ;) )

4. Kelly @ View Along the Way
    March 2, 2013 | 9:02 pm

They are beauties! My parents have chickens, maybe a dozen or so. They’re all named and officially pets-who-provide-breakfast. I wish I could have some in my neighborhood! Save me some fresh eggs!

5. Lindsay
    March 6, 2013 | 1:18 pm

LoVe the chickens! I soooo wish I wasn’t scared to death of the snakes they’d bring here in KS…perhaps one day. So, any other livestock on the horizon!?!

6. Sanz (From The Mrs.)
    March 8, 2013 | 7:44 am

Your first sentences made me laugh! I never thought I’d call myself a homeschooler and now I do! My sister said all we need now are chickens! :) Happy to have found your delightful bloc.