The Crib

“Why are you crying, mom?” she says as she enters my toddler’s room. “I’m just rearranging and baby proofing in here because his crib is coming down soon. It’s a mom thing. I put all four of you guys into this crib that your grandma and papa bought for us and this is the last time it will ever be used for one of my babies. It’s a little sad to me.” {WHICH was a total lie because it is a lot sad. Like eat a pound of chocolate and wear black for an entire decade kinda sad. The kind where I have to text one of my besties and say “you’ve been through this, I will survive, right?”. My 12 year old can wait to realize this part of motherhood, I decide.}

greysoncrib2

“Unless”….I perk up.

“I’ll save it and then when you guys start having babies maybe I will have an extra room in my house and can set it up again for your babies to sleep in when they come over to party with grandma!!!” I have a moment of triumph and then…

HALT.

Wait just a minute.

Grandma?

I had a sickening revelation that I am the grandma in this scenario and that these days are not really THAT far off. The tears begin again, mixed with laughter, and the confession to my 12 year old that I am struggling lately with the speed in which time is choosing to fly.

greysoncrib1

The crib came down.

With heart ache quite deep and plenty of cuddling and savoring the moment of the last shred of babyhood I could find in my boy. We rocked, he hugged me, he patted my face, he wiped one of my tears. God is so great and my baby boy is so dang precious.

Then I made the choice to celebrate.

1-2-3 YEAH..chubby hands over head, we all cheered with him.

“You want a big boy bed?”, I ask? He says yes to which his answer is to just about everything. He has no idea what a big boy bed is, but I need somebody in this scenario to be excited he’s getting one.

“I want more” he says.

1-2-3 YEEEAAAHHH…again and again.

We repeat 602 times. The exact amount I need to remind me.

He had no idea what he was celebrating, but I do not want to live my life living in what is no more. So, when all else fails and it is hard to find your happy, throw your hands up in the air and yell.

The first haircut, transition to the big boy Sunday School room (complete with the craft he brought home), the move to the toddler bed…

all beautiful steps of growing up.

Diapers, pacis, and bottles are disappearing in my home and talks of high school days are beginning. Having a 2 year old and a 14 year old simultaneously is quite interesting. It makes me conscious and present of what is to come and how fast time does go.

Then today I read this.

Last Bites.

We are having plenty of those last bites around here these days it seems. They are so delicious, but the new chapter will be too.

photo3

Finding the good…it’s everywhere.

10 Responses to The Crib
    January 28, 2013 | 6:57 pm

Oh . . . I remember taking the crib down. That was a lump in my heart kind of day. We had it up for 8 years straight! So I totally get it.
    And I am right there with you on how fast these sweet days with our babies are. Man oh man! I am SO thankful that I get to spend everyday- all day- with them.
    Will you remind me of that when I’m having a cranky teacher day?

2. Sandi
    January 28, 2013 | 7:08 pm

Sending you a big, big, hug and choking back tears. My oldest turns 17 tomorrow…so I’m feeling it too. Time has gone all too quickly. I love your quote, “but I do not want to live my life living in what is no more. So, when all else fails and it is hard to find your happy, throw your hands up in the air and yell”. I. Will. Try.

xoxoxoxo

3. Rikki
    January 29, 2013 | 6:21 am

I was sad when we did this, too. I’m sad over not having any more babies at least once a week. I guess it’s just weird to do this transition of Mommyhood. God has good in store for the future, though…

4. Sanz @ From The Mrs.
    March 8, 2013 | 8:25 am

Wonderful, beautiful post. I am on my 4th (and probably last) pregnancy. It is a very bittersweet feeling. I can’t imagine never doing these things again. I’ve been told the next phase is just as wonderful, though (the one without babies and the one with maturing, growing children.) Thanks for sharing your heart!

5. Renee
    July 11, 2013 | 4:58 am

Chatting about how favourite your web site and even
    sees. That you may be magnificent.
    Give thanks suitable for publishing this in turn when i aspire to have
    a peek at much more from your site in due course.
    Great course of action gripping your website tidy not to mention high-quality free of whichever unsolicited
    advertising.

You have got bits of advice with my own diamond
    ring wordpress blogging page to prevent the application
    rid of junk posts?
    After which ideas to write having tremendous cost such as your
    reply?
    Hello for my english :) it will be not necessarily a good natural words
    and phrases, faith you’ll certainly fully grasp

6. Dianna
    July 11, 2013 | 5:04 am

This really is an exceptional site, thank you so much
    due to this. I had for you to google regarding various a long time to find
    the following position.
    I personally despise when any time I personally search engines with regard to
    reports to proceed through I really commonly obtain unsuccessful articles and reviews in
    addition to significantly junk e-mail.
    You actually simply acquire treatment regarding the entire unsolicited mail plus continue to keep your
    site fresh as well as high-quality. Can you have any tricks for my own, personal blog page?

7. Nellie
    July 11, 2013 | 5:10 am

This is often an amazing webpage, thanks a lot because of this.
    I would to google for numerous a lot of time to discover that place.

I really do not like as soon as when ever We the search engines to get content for you to read through I actually constantly
    discovered useless written content along with quite a lot of
    junk.
    Anyone plainly take into consideration procedure involving a lot of the unsolicited mail along with retain your internet site clear and quality.

Do i possess any suggestions for my personal weblog?

8. Helaine
    July 11, 2013 | 12:39 pm

That is certainly an amazing web log, with thanks with this.
    I needed in order to yahoo with regard to different a
    long time to discover this particular place.
    I loathe while at any time My partner and i yahoo and google regarding written
    content so that you can review We continuously identify unsuccessful
    articles or blog posts together with a great deal of spammy.

A person definitely decide attention of most of the junk as well as keep
    your web site clear and high-quality. Would you have methods for our internet site?

9. Cedar wood is uniquely qualified as one of the main causes for roof repair is something
    that should not be roofing jokes attempted in windy
    conditions. Please press the back button and contact one of the roofing jokes CRC’s industry
    partners, at the university’s Kensington campus.
    Using a circular-knit rubber membrane that fits your roof, you may want to
    have a radiant barrier.

10. Rusty
    October 26, 2014 | 3:52 am

Wonderful website you hae here but I was wanting to know if you knew
    of any community forumjs that cover the sae topics discussed here?
    I’d relly like to be a part of group whjere I can get feedback from other knowledgeable individuals
    that share the sae interest. If you have any recommendations,
    please let me know.Appreciate it!