Miscellany Monday

1. Back to school today. It has been a fantastic break. I have enjoyed every single second of it. However, I also enjoy making up sentences with spelling words. Such as, “behind, I can see your behind right now.” Fantastic gig I’ve got goin’ here.

spelling

2. I have a monkey. My boy uses the railings of his crib as balance beams and anything that isn’t nailed down as a step stool. This is our first climber at such a young age. I am currently sleeping camped out on his floor while his new bed and extra extra tall gate (for his doorway to his room because the extra tall did not stop him) make their way to our house. I am not sure how I will go back to my own bed and sleep peacefully, knowing that he now can get up in the middle of the night and do whatever he wants. How do I keep this kid safe? Ideas welcomed. Empty the room completely? Leave furniture and bolt it to the wall? I need a sound machine for white noise somewhere in there and I really want to buy a video monitor so that is going to need to be plugged in as well. Help me mamas of monkeys. This boy is bound and determined, strong as can be, and quite stealth like. I woke up the other night to him sitting by my head quietly playing my iPhone that he had found and snatched. WHAT?????????

bath

3. Insanity round 2 starts to-day. I appreciate that the days promoting over indulgence are now replaced by the days trying to encourage New Years resolutions. It makes healthiness a wee bit easier.

4. We are in a book!!!! This fabulous author Mealnie Warner wrote a book. You’ve got to check it out, it is really good. This girl knows her stuff. It will be released next month. Get your copy here. It talks all about processed food in America. Our part is about why we switched and how it has affected us. So fun!

5. Quick! Run over to Hip Homeschool Moms and enter to win a 3 month subscription to Little Passports. I was able to review the product. It’s pretty darn spectacular. Sam and Sofia and a magic Vespa in exotic lands. I mean really?

6. I rearranged my house. This is not the first time nor the last. It works so much better. Nothing like a fresh new layout. The office became a den, the dining room became an office, the living room got a major facelift, the play area became the dining room, and the under the stairs closet became the play area. Got it? :) I also scored a dreamy vintage couch in the process. Me happy.

livingroom

7. Every single thing in my house is getting gone through, sorted, and cleaned. I think it might take me 2 months to complete the process due to my rather full time job of motherhood and homeschooling. However, it is so worth it. It makes me giddy.

8. “Mom, I don’t know what a subtraction sign is. I am getting old and I forget stuff.” ~ emma (8yrs old).

9. I was reminded this week that God is at the end of your rope. I was really frustrated the other night about some things and kinda challenging God on them in my daring human type way and He kinda said, “Well, are you doing you’re part”? “Um no, no I am not.” It was a good swift kick in the booty that I needed. God’s good at those. We’ve gotta do our part. We can’t sit around and complain that what we want isn’t happening. Truth be told most of the time in those situations, I am not even doing what I am supposed to be doing. THEN I get all like, “where is God in all of this?”. Anyone else have this problem?  We just have to be faithful with what we have and where we are at. One foot in front of the other.

10. It’s cold where I live right now. Sunny California is freezing me. Like 27 degrees. I am considering moving to live in my hot shower indefinitely.

Happy Monday.

xo.

Writing random and joining Carissa @ Lowercase Letters

miscellany monday at lowercase letters

8 Responses to Miscellany Monday
  1. Rochelle Wilson
    January 14, 2013 | 3:59 pm

Glad you had a good break!! We did, too, but went by way too fast :) How can 4 wks speed by?? We started back last Monday….so hard on us night owls; that includes my 2 middle girls :) ha ha!

2. Krystle
    January 14, 2013 | 5:03 pm

I shall be monitoring your comments in regards to your monkey…i need the same help!!! :)

3. Rikki
    January 14, 2013 | 5:18 pm

There’s so much to comment on–what do I say? :) Happy back to school time! I love a fresh start.

As for a monkey, I would definitely bolt furniture!! If he continues to get up in the night, you could try a bell or chimes on his door or yours or whatever. Our little guy would get up and sleep on the couch but we didn’t mind that. :) We’ve kicked our own kids’ sleep issues in the butt as part of our new year makeover. Yes!

4. Melissa Ferguson
    January 15, 2013 | 1:13 pm

I’ve heard of greasing the bars of the gate or even reversing the door knob to lock them in and installing a peep hole. Sounds severe to lock them in, but it’s actually safer. My husband is a firefighter/emt and kids roaming the house at night can get into lots of dangerous things. They also tend to hide during a fire and can be very hard to find. Much better to know they are in their rooms if you need to find them and get them out quickly. We bolted our daughter’s furniture to the walls and removed the toys when she was in this stage. We would find her sleeping in the floor or in the rocker in her room for a few weeks, but she eventually decided her bed was more comfy :-)

5. Tamara
    January 15, 2013 | 10:17 pm

When my my eleven year old was a toddler, he pulled the same tricks! We bought a “crib tent” and that seemed to solve our problem. He really came to love his “tent” too, though there were a few battles. We only zipped him in as a last resort, but I think he quite enjoyed his cozy space. Good luck!

January 16, 2013 | 7:57 am

Sorry can’t help you with the climbing monkey. My girls never even attempted to climb out. :)
    But let’s talk about your new couch!!! It’s luscious!!!! LOVE IT!!!
    Hope you’re having a great week back so far!!

7. Wendy Pringle
    January 17, 2013 | 1:46 pm

Crib tent was our solution to 2 monkeys(now 8 and 6)! One of those monkeys happens to be a mechanical engineer, so we had to paper clip the zipper locked. When we traveled, we used a kids travel tent.

We installed the hotel flip locks on our exterior doors, which only worked until they were 4 (yep, stacked chairs and stools to escape).

We also have every bookcase and armoire hooked to the wall. You can find the straps in the safety baby area.

Two more things,

1. I have home schooled my second grader one day a week this year and he has gone to our local public school for first and 1/2 of second. We are pulling him out next week to home school him, full time. Loads of reasons, but just know that you are one of my heroes, and you are one of the great reasons that I am willing to take on this daunting task.

2. We live in Portland and my husband Mike grew up with your husband. The other week we were going through his childhood boxes, and we came across team pictures of them as little guys. It is fun to see your kids, as they look a bunch like their daddy! If you want a copy of them, just email me and I can dig em out.

8. Sanz @ From The Mrs.
    March 8, 2013 | 8:30 am

What beautiful pillows! I love that your white board is framed as well. Did you have that custom built?