ONE CHANGE: Organic Food

Organic Food. Yeah, way more expensive, end of story. We have made the choice to go Organic in just about every single thing we are eating. Why? It is not because we like paying substantially more for our food.

When you buy Organic, you are guaranteed to not have a vat full of the “crap” that is in most of our food. From chemicals to pesticides to GMO’s. {The term “ORGANIC” is definitely not a license to eat whatever you want and call it healthy. For the aisles of health food grocery stores are still stocked with Organic Junk Food.}

About 9 months ago, I had no clue what GMO was.

GMO.

Some of the information that I have found when researching this here food thing, is downright disturbing to me. I say that with no joking. It’s almost too disturbing to wrap my head around.

GMO- google it. You will find plenty of information. However, the Darcy paraphrase is this- a TON of our food in America (like 94% of soy crops) is genetically modified. That means scientists are messing with the actual make up of our food. Reason? One of them is to create food that will produce its own toxins, so that it will grow better and withstand pesticides. This food has not been tested for safety. This food doesn’t have to be labeled as such. This food is not as God created it.

It all sounds very Star Trek-y to me.

I realize that the tendency as you start looking at all of this, is to say that there is two sides to everything. I agree, there is.

However, if you take every other “side”, argument, and fact that a little ‘ol housewife in Ca is trying to find out– the bottom line is this. I want God making my food. He’s kind of good at that.

This has been the hardest topic to figure out how to write on because of the enormous amount of information out there that is quite frankly WAY OVER MY HEAD.

BUT AGAIN – I want God making my food. After reading about genetically modified food for about 2.2 seconds, I know that. Why would I subject my health and the health of my babies and loved ones to the labs of men who are working hard to create food that is more cost effective for them? There is no reason that I can think of. Not one.

I seriously wonder what impact this will have on all of us in 40 or 50 years. Am I making too big of a deal about this? mmm, I don’t think so. Not for us. It’s not worth the risk when there is another fairly easy option.

CERTIFIED ORGANIC CANNOT CONTAIN ANY GMO INGREDIENTS.

In 2011, 88% of America’s corn was genetically modified and over 94% of soy was. I didn’t even know I was eating that.

For example, SOY LECHITIN is found in about a jillion things. The thing that strikes me quite odd, is the fact that it is in our “health food.” Protein shakes, bars, etc. So in order to be “healthier” I was drinking and eating products that are highly processed and genetically modified and considered by some- very dangerous. This makes no sense. If I want more protein, why not eat some kale, or spinach, or chicken? Seems safer.

It’s kind of like my kids vitamins having chemical food dye. I give them something to make them healthier that contains chemicals that many consider quite dangerous?

Curious.

Seems counterproductive.

Want another bottom line?

Experts argue over all of this. Experts argue over all kinds of stuff.

My bottom line? I don’t have to eat it. My life or my kid’s life is not going to be less quality because I didn’t let them eat Nacho Cheese Dorritos and Pop Tarts. It just might be higher quality because I chose not too.

So, wading through all the confusion. I found over and over reasons to support that in general, Organic Products have less artificial and more God created.

…and so, we choose them first.

*I am by no means an expert on this information. This is me simply sharing what changes we are making and the progression of our kitchen to move towards as clean and as unprocessed eating as we can. In March of 2012, I emptied my pantry and refrigerator of all of our regular foods that contained enormous amounts of sugar, food dyes, and chemicals. This worked for us because I am kind of an all in type of girl.  I am constantly learning, constantly realizing new information, and constantly evolving in my kitchen. One change + one change + one change  = some pretty big changes and improved health. It is doable.

10 Responses to ONE CHANGE: Organic Food
  1. Teresa
    October 13, 2012 | 9:42 pm

I agree! I never signed up to be a science experiment. It’s sad really. I do hope people will look into this and consider what it is or could be doing to their health.

2. Janet pusateri
    October 14, 2012 | 7:08 am

Amen, Sister. Eat clean plain and simple.

3. Jill
    October 14, 2012 | 7:00 pm

I’m so glad you are writing about this! I am a HUGE advocate for healthy eating. That’s why we ended up buying chickens and using them for our eggs, and we bought a cow from our local farm, not to keep here, but for them to butcher. They are completely organic cows, only grass fed w/ some organic grain. We also just bought chikens from them to be butchered for the same reason. We planted our own garden this year too. But, GMO’s are everywhere…when we were buying seeds for our garden there are seeds that are GMO’s which I thought was CRAZY!!! Why would I want to plant that junk? That’s the point of me planting a garden!! This needs to be taken more seriously in our country. For such an “advanced” nation, why do we have the highest rates of cancer and childhood diseases? We also have high rates of autism and other issues. OUr country pretty much leads in health issues and it’s just getting worse….I’m not a scientist, but don’t you think it’s interesting that the more our country is able to produce of junk food (junk food as in chicken and cows full of hormones, not just the pop tarts and doritos 🙂 ) the more sick we continue to get! Ugh!

October 14, 2012 | 7:30 pm

Thank you for sharing!!! Muah!

5. Kelly @ View Along the Way
    October 17, 2012 | 11:54 am

Scary stuff! We eat some organic but I have been blissfully ignorant about GMO stuff yet. Thanks for ruining my life. 🙂 Haha. We just need to move to a farm and raise all our food right there onsite!

6. Georgia
    July 4, 2014 | 10:11 am

Hello there! This is kind of off topic but I need some guidance from an established blog.
    Is it very hard to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast.
    I’m thinking about setting up my own but I’m not sure where to start.
    Do you have any points or suggestions? Cheers

7. what is keratin treatment for hair
    August 4, 2014 | 6:28 am

Attractive portion of content. I simply stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to assert that I get in fact
    enjoyed account your weblog posts. Anyway I will be subscribing
    on your augment and even I fulfillment you get right of
    entry to consistently fast.

8. v.gd
    September 9, 2014 | 6:50 am

This web site certainly has all the information and facts I needed concerning this
    subject and didn’t know who to ask.

9. Roseann
    September 25, 2014 | 5:26 am

Hey! I know this is kind of off topic but I was
    wondering if you knew where I could locate a captcha plugin for my comment form?
    I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having difficulty finding one?
    Thanks a lot!

10. Anibal
    November 7, 2014 | 6:08 am

There’s certainly a great deal to learn about this subject.
    I really like all of the points you made.