The Bible And Chocolate Chip Cookies

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28

Nine ingredients measured out and all lined up in bowls. Three children anxiously awaiting to see how this was our Bible lesson.

First ingredient. First child. Taste the flour. Is it good? Is it gross? Yeah its gross. It tastes bad all by itself. Tell me something that in your life that is “gross” or hard or bad. Write it down on the card in front of you.

Repeat ingredient. Different kid.

Brown Sugar – Good. Tell me a good thing in your life. Now write it down.

White sugar – good.

Salt – good.

Baking soda – bad.

Vanilla – Really bad.

Chocolate Chips – good.

Eggs – declined to taste, we know they are bad.

Butter – bad.

Out of 9 ingredients – five are bad when they are tasted alone and four are good. {Really it should be 6-3 because salt alone is gross but my kids think otherwise.}

Let’s mix up all the ingredients.

Now let’s taste.

How is it?

Delicious? Yes.

How is it that all of these things – both bad and good – together make something good?

Light bulb (or sugar rush). They got it.

Jesus takes our whole life. All of it – good and bad. He works it together for something fabulously delicious.

Praise Him for that.

*Bible lesson taken and tweaked a bit from Positive Action’s 2nd grade Bible curriculum.

22 Responses to The Bible And Chocolate Chip Cookies
  1. sandi
    October 10, 2012 | 8:13 pm

Ok, that’s it. I’m moving in and going back to school at your house.

2. Kelli
    October 10, 2012 | 8:31 pm

What fun!! Can my kids come to your school? I worked in Juliana’s class today and it is so sad how long 5year olds have to sit

3. Kelly
    October 10, 2012 | 8:41 pm

LOVE it! I’m totally stealing this!

• Sourabh
      November 20, 2012 | 3:10 pm

Sir, i had to trust jesus in the age of 12 years old, if any message got, plz send to me for ifronmation, thanq u verymuch sirPlease note that if you want to enter in the Kingdom of God Jesus is the only Way to reach God.Because Jesus himself says I am the way I am the Trueth and the Life no man come to God without me.Rev.JD.Jagathkumarphone +919533524771 India

4. Barbie
    October 10, 2012 | 10:07 pm

What a yummy, fun lesson!

5. Denise In Bloom
    October 10, 2012 | 10:49 pm

I just found your blog and love it. I love this lesson and definitely would like to do this with my boys in our homeschool day. I make choc chip cookies every week, so this is perfect.

Glad I found you today!

God bless. : )

6. Rosann
    October 11, 2012 | 2:57 am

Love this idea! I’ll be doing this with my kiddos next time we make cookies. Thanks for the fantastic inspiration.

7. Rikki
    October 11, 2012 | 5:20 am

Great lesson!

8. Alicia @ La Famille
    October 11, 2012 | 5:29 am

this is sooo good!! great lesson, mama!!

9. Jillian
    October 11, 2012 | 6:00 am

Love it! We are totally doing this, thanks for sharing.
    Btw, your kids crack me up. 🙂

October 11, 2012 | 12:54 pm

Spectacular! You had me at the title, but I read on. 🙂 Your kids are blessed!!! Can’t wait to do this one, too!

11. Heidi (Dearlylovedmist)
    October 11, 2012 | 7:00 pm

Such a great idea! At first I thought you were talking about each person in the body of Christ having different gifts (tastes) and how all together (we all need each other) they add up to something wonderful. I got lost when you were saying, “gross” and “bad”. I was a little confused (she thinks other people’s gifts are gross and bad…hmmm) until I read the ending. 😉 hahaha

October 12, 2012 | 6:27 am

What a beautiful lesson! Can i please come learn at your house?

13. Jess
    October 16, 2012 | 6:33 pm

AMEN! Being a chef, I wish people were more aware of what they were putting in their mouth. Posts like this need to get out more! Thanks for posting it!! Woo-hoo!

14. Nicole
    December 19, 2012 | 6:01 pm

Genius! Can’t wait to do this one!

15. Kimberly
    March 25, 2013 | 8:57 am

I did this lesson for devotions today and it was GREAT! What book did you find this lesson in? I’d love to add it to our homeschooling library.

16. Meaningful Monday | Livin' The Yeh Life
    October 22, 2013 | 4:06 pm

[…] Romans 8:28, I used an awesome object lesson from Darcy.  I then drew pictures of all the ingredients we used to make our chocolate chip cookies, and made […]

17. chuches
    February 10, 2015 | 8:45 pm

The good thing is, chocolate fundraisers don’t have
    to be about candy bars. We should have the ability to forgive others
    and also should respect other’s feelings and emotions.
    This is important when working with chocolate since it sets
    fast so have some type of plan before starting.

18. Chocolate Websites
    August 1, 2015 | 8:59 am

Hey there, You’ve done a fantastic job. I will certainly digg it and personally recommend to
    my friends. I’m confident they’ll be benefited from this website.

19. Francis
    July 15, 2016 | 7:39 am

Greetings! Very helpful advice within tthis post!
    It’s the little changes that make thee biggest changes.
    Thanks for sharing!

20. Toko Jual Kue Kering Lebaran JnC
    October 22, 2016 | 8:52 pm

Having read this I believed it was rather informative. I appreciate you spending some time and energy to put this information together.
    I once again find myself personally spending a lot of time both reading and leaving comments.
    But so what, it was still worth it!

21. Katie
    March 24, 2017 | 7:38 pm

I’m so totally doing this in my sunday school class this week 🙂