Greyson’s One Year Monster Party.

Very early on I knew I needed to do a Monster Party for Greyson on his first. Completely Necessary. I also needed it very budget friendly. Join me on a little tour…

First ~balloons. Did you know that Walmart sells polka dot balloons for just $1.50? Also, Party city sells their balloons~ by the balloon~ for just .$.19. Blow ’em up yourself and hang upside down and there is no need for expensive helium. Plus, you can choose which ever colors you actually want instead of buying a million of one color or those bags of assorted. It’s like a balloon buffet, really.

Pinterest led me to some free monster inspiration from this genius woman. She shared her darling monster coloring sheet. I was able to copy it onto a transparency and armed with a sharpie, an overhead projector and some white paper from Lakeshore Learning (all of which I had on hand), I was able to bust out the monster banner for free.

I also made copies of the original sheet and included a couple of crayons with it in the goodie bag. Monster flyers and sparkly bouncy balls were purchased at the Michaels 70% off toy sale and joined them in a clear cellophane bag, which was given to all the munchkins who helped us celebrate.

Back to the dessert table…I made Greyson his very own monster cake to smoosh and eat. First attempt at cake pops. Those little suckers are not as easy to make as they seem.

I served monster marshmallows ~made with marshmallows, coconut and Wilton chocolate.

There were Monster cupcakes for the guests and

A jar of lollipops that I collected from Staples…completely free!

($3.00 off any purchase coupon and the lollipops were .50 each)

The birthday cake dip from Pinterest quickly upstaged the entire table. It has three ingredients. THREE. It took approximately 46 seconds to make.

Try it. Don’t delay.

* Tip~ always make a DOUBLE BATCH!

Some chocolate covered pretzels, caramel corn mix and pixie sticks were all purchased from Target at the 90% off of Halloween sale.

The 50 napkins,  50 plates, and tablecloth were all purchased from Walmart for just $9. Amazing price difference from the pricey party stores.

I purchased the case of short water bottles for just a few dollars at Costco and wrapped them in aqua duct tape.

Then I purchased a couple of  packs of googley eyes from the Dollar Tree to put on the oranges and the water bottles.

My girls and I created a monster banner from construction paper that I had on hand. Again FREE and they loved helping.

We played Pin the Eyeball on the monster. It was made with left over white paper, scrapbook paper, and duct tape from the water bottles.

The highlight of the party was watching a one year old who was given an entire cake to destroy  eat, at will.

My little guy was quite polite and didn’t get too messy.

This little guy was showered with gifts.

I can not believe a whole year has passed since I met him. It hardly seems possible.

Sometimes words just are not enough. They do not do justice in this case. Not. what. so. ever.

Your family loves you Greyson Michael, SO MUCH.

Happy First Birthday ~my sweet sweet little Boy.

The Girl Creative
UndertheTableandDreaming

14 Responses to Greyson’s One Year Monster Party.
  1. Susie Lewis
    November 21, 2011 | 11:16 pm

Darcy! I love, love, love this!!! You are so creative and I love the budget friendly tips! Do you think that my 11 year old would mind a monster birthday party ;-). He told me he is done with themes. Boo hoo! I should have kept having kids! You have such a beautiful family! <u

2. Susan Evans
    November 23, 2011 | 2:39 pm

What a totally gorgeous themed monster party! My boys would love that!

• Darcy
      November 29, 2011 | 8:55 pm

Thanks Susan!!! Have a great week!

3. Sabrina
    November 29, 2011 | 10:39 am

I’m stopping by from the hip homeschool hop. Great party ideas & décor! You did a fantastic job.

• Darcy
      November 29, 2011 | 8:55 pm

Thanks Sabrina!!!

4. Marsha Cooper
    November 29, 2011 | 2:47 pm

WOW! is all I know to say. You are the 2nd blog I’ve seen in a row of one awesome party! My kids could ever only dream of something even remotely close to this…or my grandkids for that matter.

You are right, those cake pops as not as easy as it seems. The most problem I had though was the actual dipping. It was the first time I’ve dealt with the candy melts…and I’m also pretty sure my last.

5. Darcy
    November 29, 2011 | 8:56 pm

Thank you Marsha! and yeah I will buy my cake pops from Starbucks, Thank you very much!! lol.

6. Ashley Christian
    December 1, 2011 | 4:21 pm

awwww, could Greyson be any cuter! And I must say you look great mama with your 1 year old!! So sorry we had to miss it, my kids are STILL enjoying their party favors, that was so thoughtful of you. xo

7. Ornaments. | Just A Night Owl
    December 20, 2011 | 6:07 pm

[…] when this little guy caught my attention. When my baby boy turned one this year, we celebrated monster style. So there was no question, this little monster became Greyson’s ornament of the year […]

8. Dovie
    February 10, 2012 | 7:48 pm

I just wanted to interpolate how adorable your son is, and how touching everything you wrote was. 🙂 I almost cried seeing the picture of you holding your newborn son. Happy Birthday to him and many more.

9. Sandra
    February 20, 2012 | 12:34 pm

I heard about bob spounge, ben10 and even Princess parties. But Monsters party…. never in my hole life! Awesome!!! Stumpling upon!

10. Bettsi
    March 26, 2012 | 4:57 pm

I love your party! So many cute and creative ideas!

11. august
    June 24, 2012 | 5:12 am

hi! can i check did u make ur own chocolate mushmallow monsters? or u bought them? how did u do that!

12. Bryant