Greyson’s Room.

I have had taking pictures of Greyson’s nursery on my mental to do list since October. It is a fabulous combined effort of spending next to nothing, by using what I had and purchasing things at 75% off or more. I love how it turned out. It’s comfy cozy and doesn’t make me choke every time I walk in, knowing that I overspent. I have had the fun of creating four nurseries for my kiddos and this was my last. Tear. Since his birth it has been a flurry of gifts, piles of outgrown clothes, and attachments that are no longer in use from various baby products. Thus creating the “I will clean and photograph tomorrow” thoughts. Today as I was dusting in there I thought, man this got dusty fast. Until I realized he just turned 6 months old and I have never dusted the room at all. Shame.

So I scooped up the piles, put them in the hallway and shot away. I take awful pictures of inanimate objects. It is really hard to photograph rooms. SO, I am going to bail on the perfectionism and use these anyway, for fear I might not get new ones taken before he goes away for college.

Upon the news of the fourth sibling joining our family, Emma lost her private living quarters to bunk with her big sister. Her room received a heavy dose of primer and we mourned the loss of paris poodle land for a day or two. As we began to add our treasures for our coming baby boy, her tears faded. It was fun and frustrating to put this room together over the course of probably five months. Frustrating only because I am queen of instant gratification land. It went from this….

to this…

Over the crib art was created by my sister and I using 1×4’s. It cost under $10.

Burlap was purchased for $1.35 a yard. With just 6 yards needed, I added it to drapery hardware that I already had and came up with very inexpensive window treatments.

We have used the same dresser and crib for all four children. My parents purchased them for us at the birth of our first son in 1998.

We snazzed up the dresser due to the missing knob on the top with some Pottery Barn drawer pulls that were on an 80% clearance. No idea why and I didn’t ask. Perhaps red number drawer pulls are out of style.

The shelves were filled with baby shower gifts, old toys from when I was a child, and the fabulous candle that my sister made for me.ย These candles are ah~mazing. If you don’t own one, fix that. Buy one or one hundred. You won’t be sorry. Oh and by the way, they smell like vanilla and are on a 4 hour timer, so they automatically light and blow themselves out. Flamless little wonders, I tell ya.

Oh and just so you know, don’t think I am strange, everybody stores their dusting stuff on the changing table, it’s totally the new thing.

Now off to clean the hallway up as it is suddenly a big, fat, mess!

I linked up at

Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap   up           party!
UndertheTableandDreaming

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

23 Responses to Greyson’s Room.
  1. Sarah the Awesome
    May 25, 2011 | 4:52 pm

Please design my next child’s room ๐Ÿ™‚

• just a night owl
      May 28, 2011 | 10:38 pm

Anything for you Sarah Lu.

2. Samantha
    May 27, 2011 | 10:20 pm

Ahh-mazing! So many great details. I love it. Lots of layers of creativity. Way to go!

๐Ÿ™‚ crafty texas girls

• just a night owl
      May 28, 2011 | 10:38 pm

Thank you!

3. Kelly Howard
    May 28, 2011 | 5:06 am

WOWZA! Everything is so unique and colorful! What an amazing space…can I be your kid?!

• just a night owl
      May 28, 2011 | 10:37 pm

Ha Ha! Thanks Kelly!

4. aprairiegirlincalifornia
    May 28, 2011 | 1:56 pm

hey I would love to know where to buy those candles??? can you email me a link or something?? ๐Ÿ™‚

aprairiegirlincalifornia@gmail.com

5. Victoria
    May 28, 2011 | 9:46 pm

So glad I saw this on TT&J. This room looks amazing with so many unique details. I’d love to know more about the tinker toy light and I love the book shelves. I’ve just done my son’s nursery with avocado green and chocolate brown with owls & trees (my husband made a bookshelf that looks like a tree to display picture books) and I must find where to get that candle. I have a few finishing touches I want to make then I will post it on my blog (I totally understand the “throw it in the hallway to take the picture”). I’m now following your blog. Please email me about the candle, saleycom (at) gmail (dot) com. Thanks! Victoria

• just a night owl
      May 28, 2011 | 10:35 pm

Hey there Victoria! Thank’s for the comments. I look forward to seeing your post. I purchased the light at Ikea and then bought Tinker Toys at Target to put in! My sister has an etsy shop where I got the candle from. http://www.etsy.com/shop/IKRDesigns?ref=top_trail
      Thanks for stopping by!

6. Randi
    May 29, 2011 | 6:04 am

That nursery is fantastic! I love all the details – the numbered drawer pulls {what a steal!}, the tinker toy light, the artwork. You did such a great job!

7. Whitney Ulrich
    May 29, 2011 | 6:38 pm

Wow! what an amazing and darling nursery. Everything is so cute. I love the color, the lighting, the shelves, the stripes it is so cute. Also I just found your blog and love it. I love the name of it too because I can totally relate I am such a night owl

Whitney
    A mommy’s life…with a touch of YELLOW
    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

8. Laura
    May 30, 2011 | 9:12 pm

I love it!!!!!!! I love the stripes. I recently painted striped on the ceiling in my baby’s room. Stripes are so happy and perfect in nursery.

9. the cape on the corner
    May 31, 2011 | 1:17 pm

wow, what a great room. sock monkeys are super cool, and gotta love flameless candles. i love how quirky it is in here, there’s such character!

10. Ashley Christian
    June 1, 2011 | 1:34 pm

I don’t know WHAT you are talking about, the pictures look great. Really!! I love you, I love your baby, I love your baby’s room.

11. April
    June 2, 2011 | 7:43 pm

I love this!!

12. Stephanie Lynn
    June 6, 2011 | 3:58 pm

Hi Darcy – Your little guys room turned out fabulous – what a fantastic transformation. I just adore the colors you have used – super cool! Congratulations on your new little one ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thank you so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase Party. I have featured this on Sunday! Hope you have a lovely week ~ Stephanie Lynn

13. LollyJane
    June 10, 2011 | 11:42 pm

Love!!!! We are featuring this tomorrow ๐Ÿ™‚
    PS: Sock monkey’s are the cutest things ever in nurseries!
    xo

14. Victoria S.
    August 8, 2011 | 2:55 pm

Thanks again for telling me about the candle. I just finished my owl nursery and posted pics on my blog and featured the candle. You can tell your sister too. I love it. Thanks so much! http://www.obseussed.com/2011/08/owl-nursery-and-books-inspired-by.html

15. Worth Quoting | Just A Night Owl
    January 18, 2012 | 2:17 pm

[…] This sign I picked up at a flea market for $5. It makes me quite happy. It hangs in my babies nursery. […]

16. cellet retractable charger adapter
    December 13, 2014 | 10:15 am

Oh my goodness! Incredible article dude! Many thanks, However I am
    having problems with your RSS. I don’t know the reason why I cannot subscribe to it.
    Is there anybody else getting the same RSS issues? Anybody who knows
    the solution can you kindly respond? Thanx!!

17. Zenaida
    April 5, 2015 | 6:41 am

Excellent blog here! Also your web site loads up very fast!
    What host are you the usage of? Can I am getting your affiliate link on your host?
    I wish my website loaded up as fast as yours lol

18. qwop 2
    February 20, 2016 | 6:36 pm

Hi there, after reading this awesome piece of writing i am as well happy to share my knowledge here
    with mates.