Classroom Makeover.

Last week our classroom received a re-do. It was originally sparked by the arrival of a set of fantastic lockers. My sister received a new set and so she passed these on to me. My oldest daughter will be entering middle school-home school next year and she had anxiously been awaiting the day when she could use lockers at her previous school. We have been stalking Craig’s for a year now and I will admit that there were prayers sent up on behalf of acquiring lockers for this new milestone in her life. Now WE”VE GOT ‘EM and we are thankful!

The original lockers were tan and we put on green spray paint. It still needs another coat to even it out, but the kids were so anxious to start using them, I will do the second coat and sealer later! I am going to add numbers or their initials or something at some point too.

Chicken wire was stapled to the entire wall to hold whatever we feel like clipping up there! Love blog land and all the inspiration.

The map was purchased to help us with our Expedition Earth Curriculum that we are doing next year {and really shouldn’t there be a map in every classroom in the world?} I bought some wood at Lowes to mount it on, so I could put it on the chicken wire wall. However, the lovely 18 year old who cut the wood for me, made a slight error in size. I didn’t have the heart or patience to drag 4 kids back to Lowes, so I made due. The original plan was to have a 2 inch border of wood showing on all sides of the map. With the error, I scooted the map all the way to the top and left a 4 inch border on the bottom. I grabbed some hooks from the junk drawer and screwed them on to hold the silver buckets and hopefully make it look intentional. The buckets were Ikea. I used a nail and hammer to make a hole and used some old twine to tie them up.

The fabulously functional and questionably pretty workboxes that are sitting under the map, have saved my sanity for a long time now. Sometimes function trumps pretty. Not often, but there are rare occasions.

I have been wanting a chalkboard for awhile now. When I saw THIS FAB ONE it was love at first sight {which was soon followed by a trip to Lowes}. I bought some fence boards {SO CHEAP} and had them trim that pointy part on the top off for me. Another sheet of wood cut to size, multiple layers of chalkboard paint, and some dark brown stain and I now have a chalkboard for about $25.

I am now stalking Craigs for some old vintage school chairs, but for now I collected these four from around the house and they will make do.

This fab chandelier ultimately came from Urban Outfitters, but it had been living in my closet upstairs. It was lonely up there. It’s a little small for the space, but its so sparkly and pretty I ALMOST don’t notice that.

I purchased this table last summer off of Craig’s for a steal, but the blonde w00d had been annoying me for a year and so I finally refinished it a fun silver, with ivory legs.

I hope to add a rug and those elusive chairs over the summer. However, what is fairly common in my home is that FOR NOW this room is “done”. Almost summer time!

Linking up with Tater Tots and JelloFunky Junk,  Under the Table and Dreaming, and Lolly Jane and Chic on a Shoestring, and hiphomeschoolmoms.com.

33 Responses to Classroom Makeover.
  1. Smallgood
    April 30, 2011 | 1:44 pm

If I have children, I am seriously tempted to homeschool. And what student wouldn’t love that environment? It looks fantastic. I love the functional buckets. They’re pretty. When I was in school I always wanted a top locker. I’d still want one I think.

2. Lorene Yee
    April 30, 2011 | 7:42 pm

YOu have done an awesome job Darcy.

3. Tonya @ Love of Family & Home
    April 30, 2011 | 7:53 pm

Your new classroom looks fabulous! The chalkboard is from my friend Autumn’s blog, Sunflower Hill. I saw your link up at the Sunday Showcase party & was like “that looks like Autumn’s chalkboard!” Your version looks great!! Here is the link to her post…

• just a night owl
      April 30, 2011 | 8:18 pm

Oh THANK YOU!!! I felt so bad to rip it off and not give credit! :) I will update my blog now…..

4. angie @ the cellar door stories
    April 30, 2011 | 7:58 pm

WOW! i don’t homeschool, but this room makes me want to :) great job!

5. Yanet of 3 Sun Kissed Boys
    April 30, 2011 | 8:17 pm

What a terrific room! I love the Live a Good Life sign! If you find the school chairs, it’d be great. But I like the look of different chairs you have going on.

6. Sarah at SmallWorld
    April 30, 2011 | 8:25 pm

Ok, WOW!!! I am not usually wowed by schoolrooms, but this one has me drooling! Love everything about it!

7. LollyJane
    April 30, 2011 | 8:46 pm

I LOOOOVE the color you chose for the lockers- so cool! I wussed out and kept mine cream! Found you through Tatertots and would ♥ for you to show this off at our linky party too!

Lolly Jane
    lollyjaneboutique.blogspot.com

8. Stephanie
    May 1, 2011 | 4:21 am

Love love love it! As someone who is considering homeschooling when my kids come of age, I find this so inspiring! I LOVE the lockers, love the chicken wire idea, love the buckets, love the carts with all the functional drawers, love the chalkboard….ok ok, I love it all! Great job! Stopped by from FJI.

9. Autumn
    May 1, 2011 | 7:50 am

Darcy, it turned out so good. I’m glad you were inspired and when I showed me husband, who helped me on this project, he thought it turned out really good too. Now he says we need to put a slight stain on ours. I really like the lockers! They turned out great. I have to say that my favorite was the chicken wire wall. What a great solution to hanging things up! Looks good girl! ;)

10. tanya
    May 1, 2011 | 8:32 am

Hi! I’m following you from Mom Monday’s blog hop!I hope you visit me and return the follow:0)

11. keeley
    May 1, 2011 | 9:30 am

I’m thinking I’ll be sending my kids to you for their schooling… what a great classroom! You did an amazing job!!!

12. Amy @ Sweet Little Smoothie
    May 1, 2011 | 11:37 am

LOVE your homeschool room! I’ve been struggling with how to set up our room for my 3 year old – you’ve given me a wealth of inspiration! Thanks so much for sharing! I’m your newest folloer :)

13. Vintage
    May 1, 2011 | 3:00 pm

It‘s so nice that I found your blog about your link by Stephanie Lynn. Of course I’ve scrolled a little and like what I see. In six weeks my son will finish the high school (home schooling). Since 2006 he is registered to a high school in Michigan. In this long time I often needed a chalkboard, maps, books and … a very good internet-line ;) Now I’m your new follower! ;)

Take care
    Tine

14. Kimberlea @ SavVy DeCor
    May 1, 2011 | 5:08 pm

WOW! Who wouldn’t want to learn in a classroom like that?!! The colorful chandelier is just adorable!

15. Bekki
    May 8, 2011 | 6:31 pm

First, I LOVE the room! It’s now to often I see well put together school rooms. When doing mine it seemed like there was nothing out there! I love the chicken wire on the wall, what a great way to incorporate a bulliten board.
    Second, where do you store all of the “teacher” stuff, your room is so clean!
    Third, now I really want a set of lockers. Sigh.
    Fourth, I found my old school chairs at the goodwill. they were from an old church that was upgrading. It wouldn’t hurt to ask around and see if there is something like that in your area.
    Ok, I am done, LOVE your space!

16. Jenn
    May 8, 2011 | 6:39 pm

I cannot tell you how enthralled I am to find your blog!!! I am beginning to homeschool my kids next year and I am setting up “shop” in my dining & living area & am determined to have a stylish, yet functional schooling area. You showed that you can totally do it! Thanks so much for sharing. You have a new biggest fan!!! :)
    Jenn

17. brooke schaefer
    May 9, 2011 | 3:02 am

LOVE this. The lockers, the chicken wire, the buckets, and my favorite is the light. It looks wonderful. Great job.

18. Stephanie Lynn
    May 10, 2011 | 8:10 pm

Darcy – this room is such a great space. I love the chicken wire, lockers and the chalkboard is such a wonderful focal point in the room. Fabulous job – looks fantastic! Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase – I greatly appreciate it. I have featured this {sunday}. Hope you are enjoying your week ~ Stephanie Lynn

19. [...] completed before the end of this school year. I will continue to work towards that. However, sudden classroom and pantry makeovers, among other things have stolen my attention and I am definitely NOT on track [...]

20. Drea
    June 20, 2011 | 5:22 pm

oh i love ur school room!!!

21. kirsten
    August 15, 2011 | 11:35 am

love this! we don’t have a schoolroom so much as a dining room with our workboxes… ;) it looks eclectic and pretty and functional – good job!

22. [...] over to Just A Night Owl.  Drool your face off at their homeschool classroom.  Then stop and think about what wall in your [...]

23. Mac
    August 17, 2011 | 8:49 am

Totally linked this to my blog a couple days ago and all my homeschool friends are HOOKED on you now!

I don’t homeschool, but I LOVED the idea of the chicken wire on one wall! I’m trying to figure out how I can use that in my very poorly organized kitchen!

24. [...] Homeschool Room Makeover with Lockers and Chicken Wire – Just a Night Owl This mom has great ideas and unique pieces in her homeschool room: a set of newly painted lockers, chicken wire to hang projects, and a good look at her drawer/workbox system. [...]

25. tracy
    July 24, 2012 | 1:11 pm

I would love to know how your 10 drawer carts are holing up. Are the drawers sturdy enough to support the weight of school books?

I don’t see an option to get your comments emailed to me, so if you have time to answer will you send your reply to my email?

Thanks and many blessings!

26. Lockers | Just A Night Owl
    August 21, 2012 | 3:44 pm

[...] brings me to the first of our major changes in our classroom this year. Last year I had a kids side and a teacher side. Our rooms face each other and really make one giant room. I [...]

27. Our Classroom 2012-2013 | Just A Night Owl
    August 23, 2012 | 3:34 pm

[...] layout a bit this year, expanded the table, and separated some of the areas away from each other. Last year, we had everything for the kids crammed into this one room and it was just too much. It was fine [...]

28. [...] Just A Night Owl shares their cute school room re-do. [...]

29. Studio Ideas
    July 15, 2013 | 7:55 am

[...] This blog post is about a homeschool classroom, but there are lots of great ideas here that would translate well into a craft or art studio. From Just a Night Owl. [...]

30. Debra A
    June 25, 2014 | 9:10 pm

Hi there! My question is how do you use the lockers? I love the look of them, but what gets stored inside? :-) Thanks!

31. Inspiring Homeschool Rooms