Day 108. How Sam’s Club Saved My Life.

I have a tendency to be overdramatic, let’s get that out of the way immediately. However, if you homeschool…OR have even a hint of imagination for someone else’s struggles, you may realize while I sound over the top, deep down in my heart, I am completely serious.

Let me recap how I got here…

Mother of 3 children.

The kids attended an amazing Christian school for years.

Then THE DAY happened.

God said, you’re going to homeschool now. If He was still choosing to burn bushes today, I am certain I would have seen one up in flame. It was that clear.

I threw a fit, then surrendered.

That’s the short of it.

So, for the sake of this post, I had a few months to whine and prepare. Come to think of it, I don’t know if you are ever truly prepared for homeschooling. September arrived and I was ushered into my first year with my 5th grade son, 4th grade daughter, and pre-k daughter. I relate it to how it felt when as I first time mom, I had been laboring peacefully with the blessed epidural and the doctor decided to turn it off right before pushing. BAM. No warning…With homeschooling, the choices are endless, the information overwhelming, and the resources almost too many to be helpful. Over the summer, I managed to successfully purchase curriculum, supplies, and have fun creating a classroom in our home. However, in the fall the day to day left me feeling like a facilitator of worksheets rather than a teacher. I went in search of new curriculum thinking that must be the problem. I didn’t feel like we were LEARNING anything.

Then I found it…(insert dramatic music please)…THE WORKBOX SYSTEM….the rolling carts come from Sam’s. My awesome and spectacular friend Cindy texts me the next day (after she saw my Facebook post of my new found plan to workbox it) and says, “I’m at Sam’s…can I get you three?” If that isn’t good enough, I decorate for her and she says…let’s just trade for hours! DONE! I own the workboxes.

Some velcro dots, time with my Xyron, and a little building of carts later…I am a mom, who home schools, who uses the workbox method. I do wish they would rename it. Workbox method does not do it justice.

Alright enough drama, here is the deal. Bullet pointed for your reading pleasure.

1. Workbox method is NOT a curriculum. It is a method how to implement any curriculum you choose.

2. There are 10 drawers and 3 carts. 1 cart per child. 1 drawer per subject or assignment. Refilled every day with assignments for the next day of school.

3. The workboxes are to be used in order with no peeking ahead.

4. My kids feel like they are “opening a present” with each drawer they pull out. (yes, they really said that)

5. I insert notes, sticks (our reward system in our classroom), or snacks in different drawers. I have even been known to include a “free box”.

6. The boxes are numbered. When they complete a box they move the number to the right side to keep track of where they are.

7. I fill the boxes daily when school is over. As I fill them, I move the number back to the left. This way I know which ones have been filled.

8. Filling the boxes daily, keeps me more on top of their curriculum and waaaayyyy more accountable. (To who? I don’t know, but it works.)

9. The kids know what’s expected of them and how much they work they have remaining. It provides a visual and eliminates the question…”how much more work do we have left today?”

10. I have extra notes such as “Teacher Help” or “recess” to put on the boxes as I see fit. This way if I know one child needs help in math and another in science, I schedule those boxes at different points in the day. I avoid feeling like I’m stuck in a pinball machine and the kids can actually have my attention.

10. I have at least a couple of extra boxes every day that I can fill with “fun” activities such as baking, art projects, or different educational games. I intermingle those with core subjects.

11. This whole system has really allowed me to wrap my head around what we are actually doing each day. It gives me some structure, yet enough freedom to really be able to put in science experiments and all the “extras”. I used to find that I rushed or eliminated those types of things to “get done” quicker with school.

12. My frustration of being the “facilitator” is gone. Instead of spending valuable time when I should be teaching the kids, running around grabbing supplies etc… I enter the room, completely prepared with all the supplies pulled and stored in such a fashion that it gives the kids some independence, some surprise, and generally makes the day go 1 million times smoother.

13. It’s the first system that I have tried, that works for all ages of kids. I have a 5, 9, 11 year old. I can use this same system for all three!

My final thought is this…you may have been thinking that everywhere carries these rolling carts right? This one is perfection in my opinion. Not obnoxious in color, just the right amount of boxes, the right size of boxes, and super sturdy. If your gonna try this, just get it at Sam’s…and no one is paying me to say that.

Visit HERE, to see the rest of my over the top review about this method, with lots of pictures and examples of what goes into the different workboxes. If you homeschool (especially if you’re new and or have multiple children) and haven’t tried this, consider it. It just may end up saving your life too.

Now there is just 62 school days left until summer.

33 Responses to Day 108. How Sam’s Club Saved My Life.
  1. Kelly Brumley
    March 22, 2010 | 9:11 pm

Hmmm! That sounds strangely appealing. May have to give it a try!

2. Ashley
    March 22, 2010 | 9:54 pm

looks like you are on top of things!!!

3. Jaime @ Our Journey
    March 23, 2010 | 2:40 am

What a great system! I can only imagine how overwhelming it was to keep your “arms wrapped around” a curriculum for 3 children … this looks like such a great system to keep everything in check AND like you said, the kids have a visual of what they have left to complete for the day! I have a 2 year old and we are not at the homeschooling stage yet, however, I’m tempted to do something like this to organize our “daily art/craft” project!

I live in Europe .. no Sam’s Club here!!! I guess I’ll have to find an alternative storage system. We have a nearby IKEA!

4. Janet
    March 23, 2010 | 4:04 am

We LOVE the workbox system! I found it after one week of homeschooling and I think it led to me keeping my sanity. I never heard so many “How much longer???” questions as I did in that first week of school. Now I NEVER hear it. My kids get so excited to see what is in their boxes and I LOVE that I can put in all the extras. Since my kids are little still (3,5,6) I modified it and we all move on to the next box at the same time so that I can make sure the “work one on one time with mom” always lines up nicely. If they finish a box early, they can join in with what a sibling is doing, go to the bathroom, get a drink, read a book, or just wait. Works GREAT.

5. More Than A Mom
    March 23, 2010 | 5:18 am

Thanks for the follow! I love your blog, and am really looking forward to reading more!

6. Robin
    March 23, 2010 | 5:29 am

I could use one of those for my office. I like that things are put away, but easy to access.

7. Carey @ Providence
    March 23, 2010 | 5:44 am

Thanks sooo much for stopping by my place! My lil one is only a year so we still have some time before we have to make decisions about school but this looks like a wonderful method!

8. Leslie Morris
    March 23, 2010 | 7:17 am

Hmmmm, take me to Sams Club? We only have a Costco membership, maybe they have something similar….

9. Valerie
    March 23, 2010 | 7:18 am

This almost makes me want to homeschool! HA…but I could never keep up with my 15, 14 and 12..they are WAY smarter than me!

10. Tammy
    March 23, 2010 | 11:26 am

I love it….great idea and fun and different for each child.

11. Kinsey
    March 23, 2010 | 12:28 pm

Glad to hear it! Sam’s Club saves my bathroom life – TP FOREVER!!

12. dina
    March 23, 2010 | 3:08 pm

i have to say it sounds like a fantastic system, you would have to poke my eyes out before i would homeschool but i respect those of you who do and can. i am wondering what else i could use those nifty carts for though.

13. Debbie
    March 23, 2010 | 4:21 pm

I really like this idea. I will try it next year.

14. […] I told you my deepest feelings about our new implementation of the workbox system. I will keep showing you from time to time what’s inside some of our workboxes. As a newbie, […]

15. Jennifer @ Milk & Honey Mommy
    March 31, 2010 | 8:14 pm

Darcy,

Okay. Everything is now alright w/me now. I read your posts out of order and I was everywhere in my head. I appreciate your pictures and explanation which is one of the better ones I’ve read online about this system.

16. phytoceramide calcium supplements gluten free

Day 108. How Sam’s Club Saved My Life. | Just A Night Owl

17. Kate Forsythe
    August 19, 2014 | 3:15 pm

What do you do to keep kids on track in terms of time. I am afraid one child would start a box and never move because we got distracted. Need some advice on this so we don’t do school all day.

18. […] about what one might consider a small issue in one’s life. For example, I titled a post once How Sam’s Club Changed My Life. When I like something I like it, all the way. So, let me tell you about the world’s most […]

19. conditioning shampoo 12
    October 24, 2014 | 9:31 pm

Everything composed made a ton of sense. However, what about this?
    suppose you added a little content? I mean, I don’t wish to tell you
    how to run your blog, however suppose you added a headline that makes
    people want more? I mean Day 108. How Sam

20. como ganhar dinheiro
    November 14, 2014 | 7:59 pm

Hi friends, fastidious post and good urging
    commented at this place, I am really enjoying by these.

21. tandblekning hemma
    December 12, 2014 | 11:16 am

Definitely believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification appeared to bbe on the net the easiest thing
    to remember of. I say to you, I definitely get irked while other people consider
    worries that they just don’t understand about.
    You controlled to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the
    whlle thing with no need side-effects , other people could taake a signal.
    Will likely be again to get more. Thank you

22. web site
    February 16, 2015 | 8:02 am

Excellent goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you are just too great.
    I really like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you’re
    stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and
    you still take care of to keep it sensible. I can’t wait
    to read much more from you. This is actually a great
    website.

23. Kraig
    February 22, 2015 | 5:03 am

2004 & Barling. Igf 1 Severe Growth Matrix Deer Spray is really a
    very pure liquid deer antler velvet extract.

24. the-leaky-cauldron.org
    February 22, 2015 | 7:25 am

there is a citation issued within the ARC Zone.

25. seokarachipakistan.com
    February 23, 2015 | 10:59 pm

When you are actually talking about your music occupation,
    you HAD TO accredit manufacturing from someone which truly comprehends music.

26. landscaping pavers in Charlotte NC
    February 23, 2015 | 11:06 pm

What’s up, everything is going sound here and ofcourse every one is sharing
    data, that’s really excellent, keep up writing.

27. driveway in Charlotte NC
    February 26, 2015 | 1:18 pm

Nice post. I used to be checking continuously this blog and I am impressed!

Very helpful information specifically the ultimate phase 🙂
    I handle such information much. I was seeking this particular information for a very lengthy time.
    Thanks and best of luck.

28. masaje alicante
    April 19, 2015 | 5:02 am

Me encanta!!!! 🙂

29. Cortez
    April 27, 2015 | 3:41 am

Very good post! We are linking to this great article on our website.

Keep up the good writing.

30. qdtlmc.com
    March 20, 2016 | 8:12 pm

qdtlmc.com

Day 108. How Sam’s Club Saved My Life. | Just A Night Owl

31. Genesis
    April 20, 2016 | 8:08 am

Rockstar Games today posted downloadable versions for the various official artworks for
    their upcoming open-world game, ‘Grand Theft Auto V.Genesis Speed Forge
    3D is a car battle game, with weapons, a choice of three vehicles and six tracks to race on. You can order
    the product from Amazon in the following link: ‘GTA 5.

32. Mua macbook cũ tại hà nội
    June 4, 2016 | 2:00 am

Hi, its good piece of writing regarding media print,
    we all be aware of media is a wonderful source of data.

33. andreaspinelli.com
    June 16, 2016 | 9:13 pm

Great weblog here! Additionally your site loads up fast!
    What web host are you using? Can I am getting your affiliate hyperlink to your host?
    I want my site loaded up as fast as yours lol