I’m the Map.

I NEED YOUR HELP!

I purchased this map and now it is roughly tacked up to the wall to see if I like…I wanted a bold statement, um haha.

Here lies my problem.

See all the white? It all has to be trimmed.

Is it prepasted? um no, adhesive needs to be purchased and applied.

Measurements on website were incorrect by a lot. Now the map is significantly bigger than my wall and we will lose part of the world when it is trimmed down to the correct size.

Color? it arrived significantly brighter then shown on my computer screen.

I am not happy about the amount of time to install, but it can be done. Ā I love how visual it is. Although, I think I like the idea of it better than I like it. However, some days I walk in and am not feeling it. I am not after a map, just something to do with that wall that’s fun and different.

The map wall usually has all three desks sticking out from it. They are currently thrown around the room as the map is hung very insecurely with a couple of tacks.

WHAT DO YOU THINK? KEEP IT? or RETURN IT?

I won’t tell you which way I am leaning, for fear of possible public humiliation if you disagree with me!

I leave it up to you….however if you decide no my kids may cry, cuz they adore it :)!

30 Responses to I’m the Map.
  1. Debbie
    March 4, 2010 | 2:16 pm

I am not an expert by any means, but I think you should return it. I think it’s too big. And if you are giving a test in geography, you can’t “cover” it up. You’d have to possible do your testing outside of the classroom. As far as something else to do with your wall….I have no idea! Hope it helps.

2. Lindsay
    March 4, 2010 | 2:17 pm

I love the IDEA of the map wall and I think you can find a great one, but this one truly takes away from how cute this room is – in my opinion.

3. Sheila
    March 4, 2010 | 2:24 pm

I’ve done both ways over the years and personally I would not have it that big on a wall. For as often as it’s really used, it’s a bit distracting. Good luck deciding.

4. Dawn
    March 4, 2010 | 2:29 pm

I agree, love the idea of a map, but maybe one that is 2/3 the size of the wall and not so overwhelming. We haven’t had out map up for a while, but when we did it was laminated and we tried to use it to look up places from clothing tags, food boxes, news stories etc., just to constantly be looking for where we are in relation to the things around us.

5. Karen La Mar
    March 4, 2010 | 2:34 pm

I am a fan of maps. I have 2 on my wall, one is the world and one is the US. One option would be to go smaller, perhaps one of the US and one of the world on top? I personally like the whole wall as a map, but trimming would be a lot of work for an end result that may not work (it may still be too large?) With our maps up, I personally have learned much about Geography and it has been fun seeing where other things are at that we hear on the news or just in conversation. Not sure what size your wall is, but maybe the 2 maps would be good? I will put a pic on my facebook of my maps… IF you decide to cut & paste the existing ones, I would be available to help šŸ™‚ and you would want to measure for sure to see if the work would be worth it

6. tammy
    March 4, 2010 | 2:34 pm

um…that is an easy one for me…RETURN IT! šŸ™‚ It would be super hard to cut down and straight for that matter, AND then how to keep it on your wall…?????? I love the color and what it does to your classroom, so, go to IKEA and get the BIG map you were thinking about putting in the conference room. That would look nice there too!
    There you have it…my two cents…for what it’s worth.
    T šŸ™‚

7. YellowHouseKnits
    March 4, 2010 | 3:04 pm

I’m going to go with the group here and say to return it. It becomes the focal point of the room and distracts from everything else in the room, like that GREAT blue cabinet in the corner.

Plus, I think it would be nearly impossible to hang it in a manner you’re happy with. Having to trim it to the size of the wall, eliminate those white spaces, and hang it smoothly could be a real pain the you-know-what.

8. Kinsey
    March 4, 2010 | 3:29 pm

I feel the black duck for what I’m about to say, but I like it. Maybe it’s because I adore maps and globes, but I don’t think this over sized map is horrible in any way. I remember back in middle school, my teacher had one that filled the entire wall – he used it all the time when teaching. Whatever you decide on doing, I’m sure it will be the right thing. With that…good luck šŸ˜‰

9. Jada Black
    March 4, 2010 | 3:34 pm

OH FATHER:))))))))))) ITS MASSIVE:))) where’s my return button??????

10. Erica
    March 4, 2010 | 3:39 pm

Following you back from MBC!
    I say return it šŸ™‚ And I’m clicking on the unlike button,LOL!

11. gina!
    March 4, 2010 | 3:59 pm

I am with Kinsey on the map – While the undertaking of trimming & pasting that map may make me quiver – I am sure you Darc can use your superpowers & have it well placed by dinner! it is an amazing map and I am sure your kids find the world fascinating in such a large proportion! I say if you’ve got it flaunt it………. “He’s got the whole world in His hands…”

12. Jennifer
    March 4, 2010 | 4:57 pm

Cool Map!I’m with Gina “Flaunt it”

13. Lara
    March 4, 2010 | 5:57 pm

Thanks for visiting my site! Come back and check out my new reviews!

I personally like the huge map! It’s bright and cheerful and can take you to new places of the imagination šŸ™‚ And if your kids love it… go with it! They will learn more about geography just by looking at the pretty art work!

14. Nicole
    March 4, 2010 | 7:59 pm

The kids love it and it is a classroom! Keep it sister!

15. I'm a Full Time Mummy
    March 4, 2010 | 9:23 pm

Cool map! How about coloring in the whites? Kinda like camouflaging it so that it doesn’t look too obvious?

16. Megan
    March 4, 2010 | 10:20 pm

I’m way outvoted here, but I like it. It’s fun, it’s bright, it makes me happy – I say keep it! šŸ™‚

17. natalie
    March 4, 2010 | 11:40 pm

you could try staining it rubbing on brown shoe polish for an aged look

18. Scott Eaton
    March 5, 2010 | 12:00 am

If the kids like it and it was not too expensive, keep it. And, if you are not afraid of some work, here is an idea that has not been posted yet. Take the map down, paint the wall ocean blue, cut out all the continents, put the cut out continents back on the wall in roughly the correct positions, and then you and the kids add to the ocean by painting some things on it like dolphins, whales, mermaids, etc. You and your family have the skills to pull this off and it would certainly make a unique and somewhat functional addition to the room that the kids would love.

19. Jen
    March 5, 2010 | 12:01 am

Following BACK from Friday Follow. Thanks for following A Penny Saved!

Jen

20. CRAZYMOM
    March 5, 2010 | 7:30 am

I love that cabinet in the corner. So pretty!

21. jing lejano
    March 5, 2010 | 8:05 pm

I love it! I think all it needs is just some adjustments here and there. I know it can be tedious but if you don’t do it and you decide to keep it, you’ll always feel antsy about those white corners.

From FFF at MBC šŸ™‚

22. Laine
    March 6, 2010 | 12:30 am

Hi, saw your blog on mine (thanks for following!)… I have an idea, but it would mean getting a little crazy with it… (and thus making your map non-returnable…) Go pirate… use tea and a wide brush to stain the map. All of the colors will become subdued, warm and antiqued looking browns and tans and olives. You may have to iron it after if you don’t plan to paste it to the wall. Then if you take some thin strips of wood and stain them dark brown to cover the empty strips, you will have a panel look. Could be cool (but then I painted a jungle in my kid’s room, so I might just be a kook šŸ™‚

23. Debbie
    March 6, 2010 | 8:10 am

Well, I really like it! I would’ve loved something like that when I was a kid. (I kinda wouldn’t mind it now, but um… never mind).

Thanks for the FF, I’m following back and having a great time browsing the blog!

24. Monica
    March 6, 2010 | 6:24 pm

Thanks for stopping by and following my blog. I just came by to check yours out. Absolutely will be following yours now too. Love the school room you have. I’m going to be homeschooling my son this upcoming school year. Can’t wait to read more!

25. Respectfully Yours
    March 6, 2010 | 8:20 pm

Hi there. Just stopping by from FF. Thanks for popping by glad to me you. I personally love the map. I know trimming will require some work, but it looks really cool. Good luck.

26. terri G
    March 12, 2010 | 7:20 pm

Hey Darcy: It may be too late for my advice, but how about build an addition on your home to house this monster map? You probably have wanted an extra room anyways.
    If that won’t work, return it. It didn’t meet the description, so you should not feel bad. I just keep a globe out, and because it is round and shaped like a ball, it gets plenty of use.
    Love the blog!

27. terri G
    March 12, 2010 | 7:32 pm

Darcy: I just had a thought, looking at the colors of your room. There is chalkboard and magnetic paint you can buy. I have seen whale shapes in black, but really any shape or color could be neat.

28. Elle
    March 19, 2010 | 7:27 pm

I LOVE the gigantore map! LOVE it! But I also love really tiny things, so if your going to wimp out on the map, maybe you could go for a mini globe?…just a thought.)

• Darcy
      March 19, 2010 | 8:08 pm

ok…lol! I love it. Wimp out….k I’m puttin’ it up tomorrow just for that comment! šŸ™‚

29. […] have a thing for maps. I love them. I really want one of those vintage pull down types like I imagine Laura Ingalls used. […]