Chair Rail ABC’s

I have always wanted to try this type of project….I purchased these ABC cards at LakeShore for just a few bucks. They just needed a little help. It was a perfect chance to add a little moulding. I am just doing this on one wall. All the way around would be too much of a good thing in this room (for my taste anyway).

Here is the finished picture. This is our homeschool classroom.

Here are the details…

I went to Lowe’s and purchased 3 8 foot sections of this trim. It was $6.– per piece. When I got home I stained it black, then spray painted it red, then went over it with Acrylic Red paint and a paint brush. This was not some new fancy technique. It was trial and error. Now it has kind of a slightly distressed barn red color. It works. The trim I picked had a rope design on it. I would have been best off just using a brush and acrylic paint to begin with.

I used a level and nailed up the bottom pieces first. I just used small nails without a big top to them. Then I slid the cards down into the trim and staple gunned the top of the cards.

After that step was complete I was able to get the level again and complete the project by nailing the top pieces on.

Then I straightened the CHASE YOUR DREAMS plaque above it and the wall is complete! I would NOT survive as an interior design photographer…

I am linking up with

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

The DIY Show Off

20 Responses to Chair Rail ABC’s
  1. Jerri
    February 20, 2010 | 7:43 pm

What a great looking room. I love it!

Thanks for visiting Simply Sweet Home. I’m your newest follower!

2. Feeling Fit With Dana
    February 20, 2010 | 8:18 pm

I really like it. It’s fresh and so cute! Great job!

3. Laura Ann
    February 20, 2010 | 8:39 pm

I am here from 2 little Boys and Friday Follow. Thanks for stopping by and for your sweet comment left on my Show Us Your Life post. I look forward to getting to know you.

Laura Ann

4. Linzi
    February 20, 2010 | 10:01 pm

Oh my goodness! Your room is soooo cute! Ok. Come do mine, now. Please?!

5. Margaret
    February 20, 2010 | 10:23 pm

Following you back from Friday Follow. Like your chair rail project!!

6. Hannah @ HappilySouthern
    February 21, 2010 | 8:01 am

Following you back from Friday Follow! I love your school room! It’s very beautiful! 🙂

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Hannah @ HappilySouthern

7. Emmy
    February 21, 2010 | 8:56 am

that is cute! I love the pictures on your wall too, and that cupboard is AWESOME!

8. Hattie
    February 21, 2010 | 10:31 am

What a great room!!! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I’m following you back!

9. Katie
    February 21, 2010 | 11:24 am

CUTE idea!!! I just started homeschooling last month and that is a great idea!!! You found me on Friday Follow and now I’m following you! I’m happy to have you on my reader now, Just in the posts I’ve seen from you – you will bring a lot of inspiration to me! Take care! Your daughter is a beautiful little diva! (and I mean that in a nice way!) She is a doll baby!

10. Karla @ Ramblin' Roads
    February 21, 2010 | 5:32 pm

Just following you back from Follow Friday. I love the alphabet border! What a great idea. How pretty your homeschool room is!

11. maren
    February 21, 2010 | 8:11 pm

Thanks for stopping by my blog from Friday follow! I love your taste, by the way–your home pics, your creativity, ad your blog design. Really like your pictures. I’m setting you up in my reader and look forward to following you. My husband is also a pastor, but is a talker not a singer–lol. He’s a teaching pastor in Louisville, KY. We just had our first little one last April and the whole school stuff scares me silly! I suppose ‘we’ll cross that bridge’ when we come to it! ANYHOO, not to ramble your ‘ear’ off, but it’s nice to meet you!

12. Laura
    February 22, 2010 | 4:32 am

Thank you for sharing for your fun and clever idea!! I love the way it turned out!! (I also love, Love, LOVE your book cabinet!!!)

off to search your site for more how to’s!!

13. Kara @ His, Hers and Ours
    February 22, 2010 | 11:16 am

Love how this turned out!! I’m really impressed!! I always see really good ideas, but always get nervous to do them. I just need to jump in and do it!

Thanks for following His, Hers, and Ours! I’m your newest follower!!

14. Angie
    February 22, 2010 | 12:23 pm

Returning the follow from FF.

Turned out so cute! I have a metal star, just like yours and I’ve always loved the print of the hands!

15. Miller Moments
    February 22, 2010 | 1:04 pm

Thanks for stopping by my blog Survival of a Homeschool Mom! I also have another blog called Miller Moments that you might enjoy. LOVE your alphabet. It turned out amazing!!!

16. rebecca d
    February 22, 2010 | 6:50 pm

This turned out really cute! I love your classroom… makes me wish our girlies were younger… I miss those days of being together in our classroom.

17. Surviving Little People
    February 24, 2010 | 10:51 am

HI there I just saw your blog on FFF. I just became a follower. I am a homeschool mom as well. 5 boys 1 girl.

18. Messy Mommy
    February 25, 2010 | 10:39 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!!!!! I wish I was creative like that!

19. jenjen
    February 26, 2010 | 12:44 am

Very very cute! I love this idea. You are so clever!

Thanks for linking this up. I love it!

XOXO
    Jen

20. […] Year one of homeschool brought no clue of what I was doing and a traditional style classroom in our 5th bedroom downstairs. It was a fun place complete with class fish. However, half way through the year, I was irritated beyond belief by my romper room status and a makeover ensued. […]